Re: Before i hit the hard ...

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Before i hit the hard ...
From: Systemkennung Linux <linux@mailhost.uni-koblenz.de>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 1995 16:19:12 +0100 (MET)
Hi,

>  > I did and maked with the same options from andy's README for 2.6.3, then
>  > i maked install, it copied executables to .../gcc-lib/2.7.0, but:
>  >
>  > ...
>  > _varargs
>  > _eprintf
>  > ./libgcc2.c:1394: stdio.h: No such file or directory
>  >
>  > I hope is no problem ?!?
>  >

> This *is* a problem, but it should be no problem to solve it :-)
> Make sure that you've installed the latest include files from
> libc-4.6.27-2, I believe and that you also setup the links
> from .../include/linux and .../include/asm to the corresponding
> kernel source directories. Without the includes and the kernel
> sources you probably won't be able to compile anything.
> Hope this helps.

Just some additional words - compiling the whole cross compiler
stuff from the scratch is a bit wired if there aren't older
binaries of the MIPS stuff installed.  Installation in that
order:

   - Install header files in /usr/mipsel-linux/include/
   - configure, compile and install binutils for mipsel-linux
     as target.
   - configure and compile gcc as usual.  The compile will
     break when it tries to link cross-test.  Ignore that.
   - Install the cross compiler(s), gcc generated header files
     and libgcc.a by hand.
   - compile libc-4.6.26 and install binaries:
     - ./configure; answer all questions.
     - make STATIC=true
     - make install.static
     - move all files installed by the last step *.a and *.o
       files into /usr/mipsel-linux/lib/.
   - You can new try to recompile gcc.  This time no problems
     should occur.

(Probably an paragraph for the FAQ ...)