Re: Magnum + Kernel 1.2.11

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Magnum + Kernel 1.2.11
From: Andreas Busse <andy@soft-n-hard.de>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 1995 20:00:24 +0100
Hi all!

 >      Ok, folks, update on my keyboard/kernel/gcc saga :-)
 >
 >      Got sources to binutils-2.5.2 and applied patch 2.5.2-6, compiled
 > and installed.  Got sources to gcc2.7.0, applied patch 2.7.0-3, which now
 > compiles without problems.  Re-compiled kernel 1.2.11.2 with the new gcc
 > and binutils.  Lo-and-behold, no more keyboard problems!

Congrats!

 >      So, it seems that there was some mysterious problem with
 > my gcc2.6.3 and binutils2.5.2.  Anyways, it works now, so I went
 > on a compiling spree and made fileutils and the SysV Init package.
 > I had some limited success with the fileutils things; "ls" and "sync"
 > work, but "mkdir" blew up :-)

Hey, that's good news! I was dreaming of 'ls' and 'sync' but had
no time to compile them yet. Can you upload the binaries, please ?

 >      On another note, I attempted to track down the problem
 > where the kernel will not boot get past asking for the root floppy
 > with the mouse plugged in.  After many printk statements, I discovered
 > that it hangs in schedule() somewhere when called by sleep_on() while
 > waiting
 > for a keypress.  Putting printks into schedule() to see exactly where it
 > was hanging didn't work.  It seems that the printks slow it down it enough
 > to prevent the hang, and the kernel mounts the root floppy :-/

Oh, I love these "features". Although I really don't have an idea what
this has to do with the mouse. I did not take care about mice yet
(they are useless anyway at the moment) so I guess there's a bug
somewhere in the mouse driver. It might help if you simply comment
out any critical stuff there.

Cheers,
Andy