Re: Magnum + Kernel 1.2.11

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Magnum + Kernel 1.2.11
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@waldorf-gmbh.de>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 1995 20:36:49 +0100 (MET)

> >  >
> >  >  Alright, here's what I'm using to compile things:
> >  >
> >  >  - gcc 2.6.3 crossdev set from ftp.fnet.fr (binaries)
> >  >  - libc4.6.27 and include4.6.27 from ftp.fnet.fr
> >  >  - kernel v1.2.11.2 (also from ftp.fnet.fr)
> >  >  - Machine the compiler is running on
> >  >    is a Pentium-90 running various 1.3.x kernels.
> >  >
> >  >  - Only machine enabled in kernel config is Magnum4000.
> >  >  - Compile runs fine and links fine, no warnings/errors.
> >  >  - Produced kernel boots fine, but has the known
> >  >    keyboard problem.
> >  >

> > The only difference is that I moved to gcc-2.7.0-2 and binutils
> > 2.5.2-6, but the keyboard worked also with previous cross compilers.
> > Did you build the compiler yourself, or are you using the binary
> > release?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Andy
>
> I'm using only the binary releases at the moment, but I'm attempting
> to re-compile the 2.7.0 with the supplied patch, however it keeps bombing
> out when it tries to build what looks like a big-endian libsomething.
> I think the problem is that the binutils from fnet.fr do not support
> big-endian, so I'm going to re-compile the binutils first, then
> try gcc again.
>
>       When I configure gcc, should I be generating ELF output, or
> just leave it as the default? (ie: Should I be generating ELF
> Linux/MIPS executables?)

Use a.out output in little endian byte order.  This mean to configure
it with something like mipsel-linux.

Not having a big endian machine (Hint: think I'd have a nice use for that
RM200 ...) I could only verify the big endian output of the binutils
by reading hexdumps.  Though I don't really believe there is a byte order
bug.

What version of binutils are you using?  The latest should be fine.