Re: Magnum + Kernel 1.2.11

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Magnum + Kernel 1.2.11
From: "David Kerry" <davidk@sni.ca>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 1995 11:34:13 -0400
>  >
>  >    Alright, here's what I'm using to compile things:
>  >
>  >    - gcc 2.6.3 crossdev set from ftp.fnet.fr (binaries)
>  >    - libc4.6.27 and include4.6.27 from ftp.fnet.fr
>  >    - kernel v1.2.11.2 (also from ftp.fnet.fr)
>  >    - Machine the compiler is running on
>  >      is a Pentium-90 running various 1.3.x kernels.
>  >
>  >    - Only machine enabled in kernel config is Magnum4000.
>  >    - Compile runs fine and links fine, no warnings/errors.
>  >    - Produced kernel boots fine, but has the known
>  >      keyboard problem.
>  >

> The only difference is that I moved to gcc-2.7.0-2 and binutils
> 2.5.2-6, but the keyboard worked also with previous cross compilers.
> Did you build the compiler yourself, or are you using the binary
> release?
>
> Cheers,
> Andy

I'm using only the binary releases at the moment, but I'm attempting
to re-compile the 2.7.0 with the supplied patch, however it keeps bombing
out when it tries to build what looks like a big-endian libsomething.
I think the problem is that the binutils from fnet.fr do not support
big-endian, so I'm going to re-compile the binutils first, then
try gcc again.

        When I configure gcc, should I be generating ELF output, or
just leave it as the default? (ie: Should I be generating ELF
Linux/MIPS executables?)

Thanks,

David