Re: Systems 95 show in Munich

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Systems 95 show in Munich
From: Mister Linux <linux@goofy.zdv.Uni-Mainz.de>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 1995 14:33:04 +0100
Cc: linux@goofy.zdv.Uni-Mainz.de

> Hi all,
>
>  >
>  > Guess who is SGI's German distributor: SNI ;-)
>  >

> No, that's wrong. SGI has a german branch in Munich, and
> without the help of a friend of me at SGI Munich, Linux/MIPS
> would never had been possible. But that's nothing official :-)

Correct. But SNI is distributing SGI machines in Germany for them.
We bought our Indigo's, Indy's and PowerChallenge thru SNI.

> I think so. The current structures are sometimes confusing, if
> not frustrating. But it's actually a bit beyond our scope to
> reorganize the whole world :-)

I will contact Ted and Erik and try to work something out. For Germany
there is allready a mailing-list in place to coordinate FTP-Archives...
(also it somehow has never worked, at least i haven't got any mail for
over one year.)

> Is it a 1 or 2 cpu box? You know, Linux/MIPS has not very much
> SMP support :-)

Even better: it is in fact a RM600 with 2 CPU's and 512 MB RAM ...
But i don't think i will be able to get my hands on it ... SNIFF...

But i promise you: one of our DECstations due to be replaced with
AlphaPC's will be revived as Linux/MIPS if possible!

Cheers,
  Dominik

|  'Mr. Linux' is responsible for the Linux area of the FTP-server of  |
|           Johannes-Gutenberg-Universitaet Mainz, Germany.            |