Re: Systems 95 show in Munich

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Systems 95 show in Munich
From: Andreas Busse <andy@soft-n-hard.de>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 1995 12:12:07 +0100
Hi all,

 > Guess who is SGI's German distributor: SNI ;-)

No, that's wrong. SGI has a german branch in Munich, and
without the help of a friend of me at SGI Munich, Linux/MIPS
would never had been possible. But that's nothing official :-)

 > > They are all highly interested in Linux/MIPS, although they never
 > > heard about this port. Actually, they believed that /pub/Linux/ALPHA
 >
 > Maybe you should spread the word? Here are some suggestions:
 >
 > * Contact Linux International: =
 >

 >   li@li.org
 >
 > * Contact The Linux Publicity Project:
 >
 >   http://babar.mit.edu/LPP/forms/Mail_Form.html
 >
 > * Write an article for iX magazine:
 >
 >   Harald Milz will most likely be glad to accept it (besides you will get=
 >
 >   money for it as well ;-).
 >
 > > means DEC Alpha, not "less than beta". Perhaps Sunsite should rename
 > > this directory :-)
 >
 > That's the reason why U-Mainz has all stuff in arch directories and
 > the ALPHA/BETA stuff in a directory called devel.
 >
 > Maybe a common 'Linux FTP Archive Structure' should be discussed?

I think so. The current structures are sometimes confusing, if
not frustrating. But it's actually a bit beyond our scope to
reorganize the whole world :-)
Anyway, thanks for your suggestions. I'll contact the people
you mentioned.

 > It is indeed! Seems like our RM400 Oracle server is idleing lately, maybe=
 >
 > i can find something to do for it :-)=3D)

Is it a 1 or 2 cpu box? You know, Linux/MIPS has not very much
SMP support :-)

Cheers,
Andy