Re: Systems 95 show in Munich

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Systems 95 show in Munich
From: Mister Linux <linux@goofy.zdv.Uni-Mainz.de>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 1995 11:25:24 +0100
Hi,

> c) Silicon Graphics still denies any interest in Linux/MIPS.
>    However, the project is well-known.

Guess who is SGI's German distributor: SNI ;-)

> Now the good ones:
>

> e) Taataaaa!!!
>
> SNI (Siemens/Nixdorf) will officially support Linux/MIPS.
> I talked to whole bunch of SNI suits, in order of "importance":
> the Director of Business Midrange Products Management,
> the Midrange Systems Product Sales Manager,
> the Director of the Sales Partner Support Department and
> the Project Manager of the Telecommunication Services Department.
>
> They are all highly interested in Linux/MIPS, although they never
> heard about this port. Actually, they believed that /pub/Linux/ALPHA

Maybe you should spread the word? Here are some suggestions:

* Contact Linux International:

  li@li.org

* Contact The Linux Publicity Project:

  http://babar.mit.edu/LPP/forms/Mail_Form.html

* Write an article for iX magazine:

  Harald Milz will most likely be glad to accept it (besides you will get
  money for it as well ;-).

> means DEC Alpha, not "less than beta". Perhaps Sunsite should rename
> this directory :-)

That's the reason why U-Mainz has all stuff in arch directories and
the ALPHA/BETA stuff in a directory called devel.

Maybe a common 'Linux FTP Archive Structure' should be discussed?

> Anyway, they promised to provide us some hardware (at least a
> RM200 box with ram and HD), full technical support via email and
> telephone hotline and access to their ftp and web sites, where
> we can place the Linux/MIPS archive too.
>
> Well, isn't that good news?

It is indeed! Seems like our RM400 Oracle server is idleing lately, maybe
i can find something to do for it :-)=)

Cheers,
  Dominik
|  'Mr. Linux' is responsible for the Linux area of the FTP-server of  |
|           Johannes-Gutenberg-Universitaet Mainz, Germany.            |