Re: Systems 95 show in Munich

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Systems 95 show in Munich
From: Systemkennung Linux <linux@mailhost.uni-koblenz.de>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 1995 11:07:15 +0100 (MET)
Hi all,

> back from the Systems 95 show in Munich I have some interesting
> news for you. First the bad ones:
>
> a) ACER Europe isn't interested in Linux/MIPS for their PICA
>    systems. Their Risc-based systems are only available in
>    far east and, rather inofficially, in US.
>    The man I talked to wasn't even able to give me a contact
>    address. Doesn't matter, I know more than he :-)

How interesting - I talked to them, too.  At least I got an email
address :-)  Of course in Taiwan ...

> b) NEC Europe is aware of the fact that NEC Tokyo sells Risc
>    (Mips) based systems, but they are not available or supported
>    in Europe. Even more interesting, about 10-15% of the systems
>    SNI sells are NEC boxes produced exclusively for SNI.
>    The man I talked too will try to give me a contact address
>    in Tokyo, but doesn't believe that there's much interest
>    in Linux/MIPS.
>
> c) Silicon Graphics still denies any interest in Linux/MIPS.
>    However, the project is well-known.
>
> Now the good ones:
>
> d) I really cannot confirm the statement that Linux isn't
>    well-known. Everyone I talked too, even those who are
>    not interested, did know about Linux.

Even Linus agrees that Linux isn't to well known.

> e) Taataaaa!!!
>
> SNI (Siemens/Nixdorf) will officially support Linux/MIPS.
> I talked to whole bunch of SNI suits, in order of "importance":
> the Director of Business Midrange Products Management,
> the Midrange Systems Product Sales Manager,
> the Director of the Sales Partner Support Department and
> the Project Manager of the Telecommunication Services Department.

Gosh ...  I didn't even dare to talk to them 'cause I was almost shure
that such a 'serious' company wouldn't be interested in Linux.  Happy
to see that my assumption is wrong.