Systems 95 show in Munich

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Systems 95 show in Munich
From: Andreas Busse <andy@soft-n-hard.de>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 1995 10:23:44 +0100
Hi all,

back from the Systems 95 show in Munich I have some interesting
news for you. First the bad ones:

a) ACER Europe isn't interested in Linux/MIPS for their PICA
   systems. Their Risc-based systems are only available in
   far east and, rather inofficially, in US.
   The man I talked to wasn't even able to give me a contact
   address. Doesn't matter, I know more than he :-)

b) NEC Europe is aware of the fact that NEC Tokyo sells Risc
   (Mips) based systems, but they are not available or supported
   in Europe. Even more interesting, about 10-15% of the systems
   SNI sells are NEC boxes produced exclusively for SNI.
   The man I talked too will try to give me a contact address
   in Tokyo, but doesn't believe that there's much interest
   in Linux/MIPS.

c) Silicon Graphics still denies any interest in Linux/MIPS.
   However, the project is well-known.

Now the good ones:

d) I really cannot confirm the statement that Linux isn't
   well-known. Everyone I talked too, even those who are
   not interested, did know about Linux.

e) Taataaaa!!!

SNI (Siemens/Nixdorf) will officially support Linux/MIPS.
I talked to whole bunch of SNI suits, in order of "importance":
the Director of Business Midrange Products Management,
the Midrange Systems Product Sales Manager,
the Director of the Sales Partner Support Department and
the Project Manager of the Telecommunication Services Department.

They are all highly interested in Linux/MIPS, although they never
heard about this port. Actually, they believed that /pub/Linux/ALPHA
means DEC Alpha, not "less than beta". Perhaps Sunsite should rename
this directory :-)
Anyway, they promised to provide us some hardware (at least a
RM200 box with ram and HD), full technical support via email and
telephone hotline and access to their ftp and web sites, where
we can place the Linux/MIPS archive too.

Well, isn't that good news?

Cheers,
Andy