Re: DECstation boot code

To: Ralf Baechle <ralf@waldorf-gmbh.de>
Subject: Re: DECstation boot code
From: Matt Messier <marius@prilnari.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 1995 10:58:48 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: linux-mips@fnet.fr
On Wed, 11 Oct 1995, Ralf Baechle wrote:

> You forgot to subtract 16 bytes from the stackpointer.  These 16 bytes
> are the argument save space that need to be reserved for each call to
> a subroutine.  In your case the main routine will try to save the
> passed parameters onto the stack and by that overwriting something
> else or writing to unmapped space ...  For more information about the
> MIPS calling sequence please see the appendix in the often mentioned
> MIPS bible from Kane.  Or ask me ...

I'll be sure to take a look in my MIPS bible about that.  In the meantime,
is that 16 bytes accounting for the 4 arguments passed into the boot code
from the firmware (i.e., as seen in my boot.c code)?

I'm going to give this a whirl tonight when I get home from work since I'll
have some time before I leave on my roadtrip, and I'll be sure to pack my MIPS
bible for reading material :-)  Thanks, Ralf!

Matt Messier
The Prilnari Project
Lincoln, RI, USA