Re: Problems?

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr, davidk@sni.ca
Subject: Re: Problems?
From: Andreas Busse <andy@soft-n-hard.de>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 1995 09:18:02 +0100
Hi,

 >      I wrote here about a month ago wondering how I get
 > Linux/Mips running on my video-less Magnum4000.  Well, I've managed
 > to get my fingers on a video board for it, and am now up and running.

Great! But just one question: Is it a lowres or highres card ?
I mean, the one with 1 Meg Vram or with 2 Megs ? Or even more
easy to identify: Standard 15pin VGA connector or a 25pin with
3 shielded connectors?

 >      As an initial test of the hardware, I installed Windows-NT.
 > It seems to run just fine, it sees the mouse/keyboard and plays its
 > irritating chime on login.
 >
 >      So, I proceeded by ftp'ing the cross development tools/libraries,
 > the 1.2 and 1.3 kernel sources, and milo.  Everything compiled just fine,
 > and the 1.2 kernel boots Ok.  So far so good, however I've run into
 > some problems which may or may not be my doing:

Can't believe it!!! This is the first time I heard that someone
just downloaded the crossdev stuff and the kernel sources and
succeeded to boot. Really, you must be a wizzard :-)

 >      - With the 1.2.11 kernel, it freezes up when it asks for the
 >        root floppy.  Interestingly enough, this does not happen if
 >        I unplug the mouse before I boot.

Yeah, that's really interesting. I must admit that I haven't tried
to boot with the mouse plugged in yet. Thanks for the bug report,
I'll check that.

 >      - Booting 1.2.11 with a bare root floppy and only /bin/sh provides
 >        me with a '#' prompt, but any attempts to type in anything result
 >        in complaints about 'keyboard: unrecognized scancode (xx)', or
 >        'keyboard: unknown scancode (xx)'.  Although, when the shell finally
 >        gets a carriage-return, it complains about 'xxxxx; not found' (to be
 >        expected), so at least the shell seems ok.

Even more interesting. I heard about odd keyboard problems before, but
was not able to track them down. Could you please exchange your keyboards,
ie. take the one from the Linux box and connect it to the Magnum ? I'm
not sure if this will work, but who knows...

 >      - I have been unable to boot the 1.3.10 kernel at all.  I keep getting
 >        kernel panics while it figures out what kind of floppy I have.

The 1.3.x kernels are just "guaranteed to compile" :-) Jokes aside,
work is in progress here and nobody expected one of the 1.3 kernels
to run. However, at least it's good to hear that something works, even
if it's only a panic message :-)

 >      I hope the above is of some use to you.  If needed, I can give
 > exact details about kernel configuration, error text, etc...

Oh yes, that's a lot of usable information!

 >      The only possible thing I can think of is that my hardware config
 > is somewhat odd.  I am not using a Mips mouse or keyboard, but a generic
 > PC keyboard and a Microsoft mouse (it's all I have available), however they
 > both work just fine in Windows NT.

I am using a Sherry US keyboard on my Magnum. It works fine, as a german
"Twinhead" lowcost keyboard did too. Just try another keyboard, please.

 >      Anyone mind if I join this mailing list to listen in?  I can help out
 > here and
 > there, and do some testing of new code.

You're more than welcome!

Luc or Stoned, could you please subscribe David? I'm in a hurry, sorry...

Thanks for all this info -- that's really good news in the morning!

Cheers,
Andy