Problems?

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Problems?
From: "David Kerry" <davidk@sni.ca>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 1995 21:22:05 -0400
Hello again,

        I wrote here about a month ago wondering how I get
Linux/Mips running on my video-less Magnum4000.  Well, I've managed
to get my fingers on a video board for it, and am now up and running.

        As an initial test of the hardware, I installed Windows-NT.
It seems to run just fine, it sees the mouse/keyboard and plays its
irritating chime on login.

        So, I proceeded by ftp'ing the cross development tools/libraries,
the 1.2 and 1.3 kernel sources, and milo.  Everything compiled just fine,
and the 1.2 kernel boots Ok.  So far so good, however I've run into
some problems which may or may not be my doing:

        - With the 1.2.11 kernel, it freezes up when it asks for the
          root floppy.  Interestingly enough, this does not happen if
          I unplug the mouse before I boot.

        - Booting 1.2.11 with a bare root floppy and only /bin/sh provides
          me with a '#' prompt, but any attempts to type in anything result
          in complaints about 'keyboard: unrecognized scancode (xx)', or
          'keyboard: unknown scancode (xx)'.  Although, when the shell finally
          gets a carriage-return, it complains about 'xxxxx; not found' (to be
          expected), so at least the shell seems ok.

        - I have been unable to boot the 1.3.10 kernel at all.  I keep getting
          kernel panics while it figures out what kind of floppy I have.

        I hope the above is of some use to you.  If needed, I can give
exact details about kernel configuration, error text, etc...

        The only possible thing I can think of is that my hardware config
is somewhat odd.  I am not using a Mips mouse or keyboard, but a generic
PC keyboard and a Microsoft mouse (it's all I have available), however they
both work just fine in Windows NT.

        Anyone mind if I join this mailing list to listen in?  I can help out
here and
there, and do some testing of new code.

--
David Kerry  (davidk@sni.ca)