Re: 1.3.x where x approaches infinity

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: 1.3.x where x approaches infinity
From: Andreas Busse <andy@soft-n-hard.de>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 1995 20:01:47 +0100

 > Ralf,
 >      great job on all these patches.
 >
 > I was wondering if you had any ideas on when you'd be getting 1.3.x up
 > to the same levels of the Intel?

As I know Ralf this is a question of days :-)

 > Basically, I'm looking for a good time to move the Deskstation patches
 > into the 1.3.x based kernel.  I have the next two weeks off (not this
 > week, but Oct 16-Oct27) and it is looking like a good time to do that.
 > Just wanted to see if that is a good assumption.
 >
 > I want my ash prompt with 1.3.x :-).

Actually, I do understand you. But there might be a *little* problem:
The current Linux/MIPS 1.3.x kernels *compile* but nobody knows if
they run :-). If you want a `#' try 1.2.11 first, really. There are
so many changes in 1.3 that it might take much longer to make it
running again than you'll need to make 1.2 running. And since Stoned
has made changes to 1.2.11 too, we'll need to find an upgrade path
to 1.3.x anyway. Well, Ralf, do you remember: I thought it might be
better to have user code running on all platforms before going to
1.3.x. Now we have the hassle :-(

Cheers,
Andy