Linux 1.3.0

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Linux 1.3.0
From: ralf@waldorf-gmbh.de (Ralf Baechle)
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 1995 03:48:19 +0100 (MET)
Hi,

I'm about to do the switch to the 1.3 kernel series.  1.3 introduced
per some new architecure specific file that open an elegant way to
integrate compatibility with other operating system.  I've choosen
to make Linux/MIPS as compatible reasonable and possible with
MIPS ABI compliant systems and IRIX.  The idea is to get binary
compatible with these operating systems.  The required changes of
structures will break the compatibility with the old binaries but I
think it will be worth it.  Due to the switch to ELF this shouldn't
hurt that much anyway ...

I'll try to release the 1.3 series kernels in a series as fast as
possible, so don't really try to run one of these kernels; I won't
introduce new features or do real debugging before I catched up the
leap to Linus' kernel releases.