Re: GCC 2.7.0 (Was: Cross compilers for MIPS NT?)

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: GCC 2.7.0 (Was: Cross compilers for MIPS NT?)
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@waldorf-gmbh.de>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 1995 22:02:39 +0100 (MET)
Hi,

> I've installed GCC 2.7.0 on my 486 box and had a lot of trouble compiling a
> 1.2.13 kernel. After spending a lot of time removing leading underscores in
> assembler symbols to match his idea 'ld' outputted and ELF image that xtract
> refuse to deal with. I've the added -oformat a.out-i386-link to the linker
> options, but now it says that this would output an unrepresentable section,
> and refuses to dump a such (oscene in my toughts) image. There is to say
> that i'm totally dummie for GNUism, may be i was evertytime very lucky in
> past ?

Sounds like you were using a Linux/i386 box.  From release 2.7.0 on GCC
configures to use ELF output for i[345]86-*-linux* and to use a.out only
for i[345]86-*-linuxaout* targets.  This is due to the change to ELF for
all Linux implementations.  If you want to switch to ELF you have to
install Libc binaries, eventually ld.so and binutils.  There is a good
chance to nuke the systems for people that aren't used tweaking that
part of the system.  Currently an fullautomatic kit for conversion to ELF
is being developed.  For more information see the GCC mailing list.

> Final subject:
> I will be in Amsterdam 11,12,13 october for a RIPE meeting. The meeting
> itself is usually boring (except that i will introduce the new NAP in Rome
> :), but the city isn't. If you are in floating beer mood, whistle. Would be
> nice to meet all you fine hacker in a recreactional context.

Sounds like I'll have to travel to Amsterdam in a recreactional context ...
Who else ist intrested to come with me?