Re: GCC 2.7.0 (Was: Cross compilers for MIPS NT?)

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: GCC 2.7.0 (Was: Cross compilers for MIPS NT?)
From: Andreas Busse <andy@soft-n-hard.de>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 1995 15:23:53 +0100

 > I've installed GCC 2.7.0 on my 486 box and had a lot of trouble compiling a
 > 1.2.13 kernel. After spending a lot of time removing leading underscores in
 > assembler symbols to match his idea 'ld' outputted and ELF image that xtract
 > refuse to deal with. I've the added -oformat a.out-i386-link to the linker
 > options, but now it says that this would output an unrepresentable section,
 > and refuses to dump a such (oscene in my toughts) image. There is to say
 > that i'm totally dummie for GNUism, may be i was evertytime very lucky in
 > past ?

Hmmm. I must say that gcc-2.7.0-3 and binutils 2.5.2-6, ie. the FSF
releases plus the Linux/MIPS patches from Ralf work really fine as
cross compilers from Linux to DOS (yeah!) and Linux/MIPS. I had lots
more trouble with any other release.

 > And Unidata hardware trashing departement striked again. Now there is an
 > Alpha (Jensen, not -that- Jensen :) board floating around. Gee, i thin i
 > will go soon (6 months) to crash some kernel on it.
 >
 > Final subject:
 > I will be in Amsterdam 11,12,13 october for a RIPE meeting. The meeting
 > itself is usually boring (except that i will introduce the new NAP in Rome
 > :), but the city isn't. If you are in floating beer mood, whistle. Would be
 > nice to meet all you fine hacker in a recreactional context.

Amsterdam. Hmm, that's not that far away from here. So why not!

Cheers,
Andy