Re: Linux-1.2.11 patches

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Linux-1.2.11 patches
From: Andreas Busse <andy@soft-n-hard.de>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 1995 11:49:50 +0100
Hi again,

 > Hum,... all right, I've got to something then. I'll try to do my best.

Wonderful ! :-)

 > Cheers, Stoned - afraid to make changes in kernel and tearing on the
 > time hacking milo was enought to make the Oily stuff go on :)

Well, it's probably a bit more than just hacking Milo, but it's
not that hard as you might think now.

Step 1: Edit arch/mips/kernel/head.S
- Copy the map0_magnum4000 to map0_olivetti_m700
- Add map0_olivetti_m700 to the map0table
  (Note that the position in map0table MUST correspond to the
  MACHTYPE ID of the Oily box)

Step 2: Create arch/mips/kernel/olivetti.S
- Copy magnum4000.S into this file
- Change all names accordingly
- Edit Makefile

Step 3: Edit arch/mips/kernel/irq.c
- In init_IRQ, add a case statement for the Olivetti.
  Copy either the code of the PICA or the Magnum.
  Better comment out any unnecessary interrupts.

Step 4: Edit arch/mips/kernel/setup.c
- Add CONFIG stuff for the Olivetti.

Step 5: Edit drivers/char/console.c
- Whereever you find CONFIG_MAGNUM_4000, add the Olivetti too.
  Since both uses the G364 graphics controller, this should
  work right out of the box.

Sorry, we never got patches for the console driver, so the
Olivetti support has been removed again silently. As a rule
of thumb: Whenever you made something working, release patches!
Otherwise your work goes down the tubes :-)

That, besides some other minor changes that might be necessary,
should be sufficient at least to boot the kernel and to see
some console output.

Cheers,
Andy