Re: DECStation R3000 Linux

To: censjg@caledonia.hw.ac.uk
Subject: Re: DECStation R3000 Linux
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@waldorf-gmbh.de>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 1995 17:34:33 +0200 (MET DST)
Cc: linux@waldorf-gmbh.de
Hi,

> The Linux-MIPS howto says you want to hear from people running
> DECstations, I run a network of around 80, currently running Ultrix,
> here at Heriot-Watt University in Edinburgh, UK.

Hey, that's nice; never heared before of someone with that many DECs.
I guess you really want to swap Ultrix for Linux on your machines, don't
you?

> I'm running Linux on my PC, and on ~12 PC's at an Internet Cafe where
> I also work.
>
> I'm very interested in the idea of running Linux on some of the mips
> machines, (all 5000 series, models 240, 133, 125 and 25), especially
> since the demise of Ultrix.
>
> I don't know if I will be able to offer much time for porting etc,
> though I'd like to. Please let me know the state of support for R3000,
> and suggestions for how I might be able to help the development
> process.

The most work till now (and that isn't very much ...) has been invested
into support for the 3000 series.  Jim Paradis of DEC has offered to
give us the required information for an port.  A bootserver for booting
a DECstation 3000 (dunno about 5000) from a Linux host has been written.
I personally have a R4400 workstation.  Having worked only for the R4xx0
series in the beginning I've changed most of the stuff so that pluging
in the R3000 code at the right place should suffice.  A short answer
for your questions but I'm in hurry ...

I don't know what development works you did yet;  if you did ever some
assembler hacking you're probably the right man for the R3000 port. If
not don't - no problem.  Linux/MIPS is my first MIPS program, too.

> I have access to hp9000, SunOS 4.1.n, Solaris 2.4, DEC OSF/1 V3.2,
> Linux etc.

Linux is the preferable operatiog system for cross development as it
can write the required ext2fs root filesystems etc. and all the
cross development software compiles easily.  Nevertheless all the other
UNIX style OS should be fine.  An NT crossdevelopment kit it currently
in the works.

I'd be more than happy to see some real move on the DECstation side;
the demand for Linux as replacement OS for Ultrix (aka Buglix on this
mailing list ...) is big if not even HUGE.  If I understand you right
you're from an academic institution.  Maybe some students are happy to
work with you, too?

Please feel free to ask me any questions about the MIPS port; as the
main kernel hacker I'm the best person to answer your questions.  On
the mailing list you can reach the other DECstation hackers.  For
subscription to the mailing list please mail to
Stoned.Elipot@univ-evry.fr; he is maintaining the subscription list.

  Ralf (in hurry ...)