Re: DECstation news

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: DECstation news
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@waldorf-gmbh.de>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 1995 09:50:17 +0200 (MET DST)
Cc: zaitcev@lab.ipmce.su
Hi all,

> Dear Collegues,
>
> SPARC PROM requires a.out images to boot and the rest of Linux/SPARC
> was planned to be ELF-only. But I had some troubles with ELF-->a.out linkage
> with binutils-2.5.8 for SPARC. I wrote a simple filter which converts a
> bootable image of a kernel form ELF to a.out. It is somewhere at
> vger.rutgers.edu under /pub/linux/Sparc/... Sorry for disturbtion if
> this note is not interesting.

Thanks, I'll give it a try!

> I wonder which version of gld/BFD can link ELF object code with a.out
> result without a coredumps (at MIPS). IMHO, this solution is better than
> ad hoc tools. I want to adopt it for SPARC. Why Ralf called it 'ugly'?

Sorry, I missexpressed myself.  What may cause is linking code from different
object file formats.  The target object file format of the linker is less
a problem.  There are some problems with mixing multiple format left in
the current release of the binutils.  This is not of big interest as they
result from a extensions in the a.out assembler (handling %HI, %hi and %lo)
that are not yet present in the ELF assembler.