Re: DECstation news

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: DECstation news
From: zaitcev@lab.ipmce.su (Pete A. Zaitcev)
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 1995 09:53:42 +0400
Dear Collegues,

SPARC PROM requires a.out images to boot and the rest of Linux/SPARC
was planned to be ELF-only. But I had some troubles with ELF-->a.out linkage
with binutils-2.5.8 for SPARC. I wrote a simple filter which converts a
bootable image of a kernel form ELF to a.out. It is somewhere at
vger.rutgers.edu under /pub/linux/Sparc/... Sorry for disturbtion if
this note is not interesting.

I wonder which version of gld/BFD can link ELF object code with a.out
result without a coredumps (at MIPS). IMHO, this solution is better than
ad hoc tools. I want to adopt it for SPARC. Why Ralf called it 'ugly'?

Best wishes,
Pete