Re: Deskstation

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Deskstation
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@waldorf-gmbh.de>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 1995 16:43:27 +0200 (MET DST)
Hi,

> Interesting... Looks like MIPS should do some advertising, perhaps
> even offer a low-cost board as DEC does. Not our fault that Alpha
> is the winner, but our disadvantage...

Yesterday I've met quite some people from the Linux congress in Berlin.
We found that some companies sales (namely Wordperfect) for Linux already
exceed the sales for SCO.  As someone found out about every third customer
that visited Star Division asked for a (nonexisting) Linux version of their
StarWriter. Based on the number of sold CDROMs Linux and how often each one
has probably been installed Linux is third most installed operating system
in the US.  This and the fact that the vice president of Caldera showed
strong interest in Linux/MIPS should probably more than enough justification
to for Mips and SGI to be interested in Linux/MIPS.