Re: Deskstation

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Deskstation
From: Andreas Busse <andy@waldorf-gmbh.de>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 1995 07:16:08 +0200
Hi,

 > I just called the deskstation people.  Basically, they sell 98% Alpha
 > boxes, and 2% MIPS boxes, so they aren't real interested in working
 > with me, except on the side like I've been able to do here and there
 > to date.

Interesting... Looks like MIPS should do some advertising, perhaps
even offer a low-cost board as DEC does. Not our fault that Alpha
is the winner, but our disadvantage...

 > This likely explains a lot of the level of support that we've seen for
 > their machines in this group.  They did invite me to work with them,
 > but set my expectations very low.  I'll let you know if meaningful
 > discussions do happen with them.
 >
 > They were rather impressed that I had gotten as far as I had with as
 > little help from them as I had needed, so there may be some hope in
 > this relationship working out.  I think they want to work with me as
 > their schedules allow, but I also think that I shouldn't expect much
 > from them in the way of support.

I can only confirm that. The support I got for the Tyne board was
as the same level. Just enough to make the basic things running.

 > Maybe if I get a MIPS box running, they'll send me an alpha to try
 > :-).

Just a question out of curiousity: Did you mention your relationship
to me?

Andy