Re: DECstation news

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: DECstation news
From: Matt Messier <marius@prilnari.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 1995 12:38:36 -0400
On Mon, 11 Sep 1995, Szemethy Tivadar wrote:

> What I'm going to do in the DS section:
>  - improve the netboot loader (almost ready)
>  - write the SCSI disk (aka 'rz') bootblocks
>  - we'll see what comes next.
>
> For the first time, the boot loaders will be able to load mipsel 407
> executables
> (from ufs in the 'rz' case), but they should be aware of the ELF/ext2fs
> combination too.

The boot blocks and disk label is trivial.  What is really going to be a
pain is writing the boot loader module that gets stuffed into the boot
blocks.  I've more or less got the code to write these pieces already.  It
might also be a better idea to use xiafs or ext2fs as opposed to ufs since
these filesystems already exist for Linux, whereas ufs does not.  It is
the boot loader that really needs to be able to recognize what type of
file system it is.  If we use the Ultrix bootloader (as I was planning to
do for my work), we more or less have to use ufs.

As it turns out, I found a good price on a 240mb drive so I'll probably pick
that up and work on the bootloader.  In all honesty, I don't think that it
will be too terribly long before we can actually start working on the kernel
itself.

Matt Messier
The Prilnari Project
Lincoln, RI, USA