Re: DECstation news

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: DECstation news
From: Matt Messier <marius@prilnari.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 1995 02:43:52 -0400
On Mon, 11 Sep 1995, Andreas Busse wrote:

> Congrats! Good to hear that there's some movement in the DEC department
> of Linux/MIPS :-)

You know, I often wonder if I'm supposed to be working on this project.  If
it isn't one thing, it is another.  I never seem to be able to work on it at
all.  Right now I'm short a keyboard.  I will hopefully be able to get down
to the store tommorrow :-)  I've been putting it off for over a month now, but
but I have newly found inspiration.

>  > By the way, has anyone else been working on the DS stuff at all?  If so,
>  > I'd like to find out how far along you are.
>
> So far I know there's a halfway working network loader, and when
> I remember right, there was also some progress with disk booting.
> Anyway, I would also be interested in the current state of this
> part of the project.

Great.  For the time being I will be using Ultrix' boot loader to play around
with kernels simply because the only means I have of getting anything onto
the drive really is via ethernet.  If I lose the Ultrix boot loader, I'm all
done.  The more I'm finding out, the less difficult it looks like the boot
loader is going to be to write.

By the way, last I knew, there wasn't actually anything for the boot loader
written yet, but it had been talked about, much the talk being mine.  With
any luck, this has changed :-)

Matt Messier
The Prilnari Project
Lincoln, RI, USA