Re: Remote debugger

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Remote debugger
From: Andreas Busse <andy@waldorf-gmbh.de>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 1995 07:37:07 +0200

 > I just tried to debug a kernel using Andy's remote debugging support.
 > The bad new is that debugging info needs that much memory that it's
 > definately unusable for small machines.  When linking on my 486DX/33
 > still wasn't finished after over 10 minutes I gave up.  Ps showed for
 > that kernel with lots of options turned on about 12MB memory in use.
 >
 > Printk() will stay my best friend ...

Well, as suggested, try to add -g to the parts where you expect
the bug and turn it off anywhere else. Even if you still prefer
printk() then I'd like to know if it works. Have you checked the
serial lines before? They need to work, although they can't be
used for anything else but debugging as soon CONFIG_REMOTE_DEBUG
is on.

Andy