Re: Remote debugger

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Remote debugger
From: Andreas Busse <andy@waldorf-gmbh.de>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 1995 07:33:22 +0200

 > How much memory are we talking about here?  I have 32M on my machine
 > and was wondering if that was enough...
 >

 > Also, if kgdb is like gdb, you needn't compile the entire kernel -g.
 > We had a similar problem with OI (-g == 30-80M depending on the
 > compiler).  When we needed to debug an entry field, we'd just compile
 > entfld.C -g, and the rest of the library w/o -g.  This seemed to work
 > well in practice.  Sure, you'd get hip deep into the debugging session
 > and realize you need dtech1.C also, but usually with a little planning
 > these sorts of things didn't matter much.

I have a 32Meg machine too and that's perfect. However, Warner is
right in what he's saying. You don't need to turn on -g for the
complete kernel tree, if you don't like that.
For example, if you expect bugs in the drivers, add -g to the driver's
CFLAGS, and nowhere else. I've tried that, and it works.

Andy