Re: Remote debugger

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Remote debugger
From: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 1995 16:40:48 -0600
: I just tried to debug a kernel using Andy's remote debugging support.
: The bad new is that debugging info needs that much memory that it's
: definately unusable for small machines.  When linking on my 486DX/33
: still wasn't finished after over 10 minutes I gave up.  Ps showed for
: that kernel with lots of options turned on about 12MB memory in use.

How much memory are we talking about here?  I have 32M on my machine
and was wondering if that was enough...

Also, if kgdb is like gdb, you needn't compile the entire kernel -g.
We had a similar problem with OI (-g == 30-80M depending on the
compiler).  When we needed to debug an entry field, we'd just compile
entfld.C -g, and the rest of the library w/o -g.  This seemed to work
well in practice.  Sure, you'd get hip deep into the debugging session
and realize you need dtech1.C also, but usually with a little planning
these sorts of things didn't matter much.

Just a though...

Warner