Re: move to 1.3

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: move to 1.3
From: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 1995 08:59:49 -0600
: the demand to move to the 1.3 kernel seems to increase.
: There are quite a few people on the list asking for this,
: and I must admit that it would have several advantages.

I'd love to be able to just run 1.3.x out of the box :-).

: However, I'd like to see user code running on all current
: targets, that is the Pica, Magnum, Olivetti and RPC44 boxes
: before moving over to 1.3.

I'm happy with where I'm at with the RPC44 box that if it didn't run
user code, I wouldn't complain much.

: I believe that if we change before having all targets
: more or less at the same state we would produce more
: problems than needed. It might even happen that people are
: working on different kernel releases, which is certainly
: no good idea.

This is a valid concern.  I'm not sure why I can't get past the kernel
messages phase of the boot, but I'm not overly worried about it.

: - add RPC44 support to Milo and kernel

OK.  I'll try to get a set of diffs against the 1.2.10.4 kernel that
I've been using as a base, and we can iterate on them.

: - check user code on all systems (at least /bin/bash should work)

As an aside:  What's the easiest way to check this?  Can I just put
/bin/bash on a msdos formatted floppy?

Warner