Re: Milo Speedup

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Milo Speedup
From: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 1995 21:00:08 -0600
: I got no comments -- doesn't matter :-)

Hmmm, guess this might make some of my patches to milo (but not all)
obsolete. :-(.

Also, this assumes that you can load the kernel at the right place in
physical memory.  The location for the Deskstation rpc44 is different
than other machines, I fear, due to the 640K low memory limit.  I also
think that it may be wasteful of space since it will keep the kernel
symbols in memory if you aren't careful.  How does the kernel get
relocated to its right place?  Are you copying it down from high
memory where the malloc returns memory?

Anyway, despite these misgivings (which are likely just
misunderstandings on my part), I think this is a great idea!  This
would mean that we could put the data decompression into MILO itself
with very little effort if we load the kernel high enough.  The whole
thing could be read in off disk (which should be even faster, I would
imagine) and then decompressed into the right location.  I'm not sure
how that would impact MILO's load time, since it would have to be
bigger by a small amount.

I'd love to be able to have the same load address for all machines,
but fear that we might not be able to do that easily.  Well, we could
make it 0x80010000 on all machines, and have Linux be smart enough to
put either the low 640K or the low 1M of memory depending on the
machine into its free pool of memory.  This sounds like the most
portible way to cope with the problem...

Warner