Re: Milo Speedup

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Milo Speedup
From: Andreas Busse <andy@waldorf-gmbh.de>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 1995 21:47:48 +0200
Hi all!

 > Yes indeed, guadalquivir receive your first mail 3 minutes *after* your
 > second one !! And that was about 5 hours after you sent the first one
 > !! Ah, information superhighways ! :)

No, *this* time it wasn't a problem of the so-called "data highways".
Some crazu people placed a bomb (NO JOKE!!!) at the main Telekom office
in Koblenz, where we connect to the Internet, resulting in a total
failure of all ISDN, cable TV, BTX and wide-area network services
around Koblenz.
I must say, this time the German Telecoma worked really fast. It took
only half a day to setup sufficient backup lines and switching systems!

 > [SNIP]
 > Andreas> before: 300 seconds after: 26 seconds
 > Wouah,... So is the Magnum BIOS's read() broken or not ???

It is. Definitely. Do a single fseek() and performance goes
down the tubes :-)

Cheers,
Andy

Andreas Busse                      | andy@waldorf-gmbh.de
Waldorf Electronics GmbH, R&D Dep. | Phone: +49 2636-970105
Neustrasse 9-12, D-53498 Waldorf   | Fax:   +49 2636-970106