Speedup Milo

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Speedup Milo
From: Andreas Busse <andy@waldorf-gmbh.de>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 1995 12:31:11 +0200
Hi all,

I'm tired of always waiting 5 minutes to boot a kernel
on my Magnum, really. So I've played around with buffered
file I/O, but even this didn't help. I believe the problem
is that as soon I do a seek() floppy thruput decreases
to nearly zero. Reading a file just from the beginning to
the end is way faster.

So I'd like to re-organize the way Milo loads the kernel.
I'm thinking of loading the whole thing at once into a
large buffer, and then setting appropriate pointers to
the symbols, text and data spaces. Before I start writing
that I'd like to hear comments about the other's plans.
Are there any?

Cheers,
Andy