Linux-1.2.10.5 patches

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Linux-1.2.10.5 patches
From: Andreas Busse <andy@waldorf-gmbh.de>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 1995 14:03:44 +0200
Hi all,

I've uploaded patch set #5 to ftp.waldorf-gmbh.de, in
/pub/linux/mips/private/Incoming/linux-1.2.10.4-1.2.10.5.diffs.gz

These patches contain:

- the remote GDB stub, in 4 parts:
  arch/mips/kernel/gdb-low.S    the low-level exception handler
  arch/mips/kernel/gdb-stub.c   the "high-level" part of the stub
  incluse/asm-mips/gdb-stub.h   include file for the gdb stub
  drivers/char/serial.c         primitive serial driver for ttyS0

- some minor changes to include files
- new configuration option CONFIG_REMOTE_DEBUG

Some DONT's:

- You can put the gdb initialization (a call to set_debug_traps())
whereever you want, but never before init_traps() since init_traps()
would overwrite the exception handler pointers set_debug_traps()
has set.
- You cannot use the GDB stub together with serial line support.
The GDB stub has its own very primitive serial driver which
works without interrupts, queues, timers etc. Enabling the normal
serial drivers will confuse the communication between host and target.
I will change this later, but for now you must choose between debugging
support or serial lines.
- There's no way to disable remote debugging while it's compiled
into the kernel. Due to the lack of a command line interface
the stub is enabled as soon you turn on CONFIG_REMOTE_DEBUG.
I'll change that as soon we have a working command line interface.

GDB patches and binaries follow soon.

Cheers,
Andy

Andreas Busse                      | andy@waldorf-gmbh.de
Waldorf Electronics GmbH, R&D Dep. | Phone: +49 2636-970105
Neustrasse 9-12, D-53498 Waldorf   | Fax:   +49 2636-970106