Re: Remote-GDB for Linux/MIPS

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Remote-GDB for Linux/MIPS
From: "David S. Miller" <davem@caip.rutgers.edu>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 1995 17:14:37 -0400
   Date: Tue, 5 Sep 1995 21:02:49 +0200
   From: Andreas Busse <andy@waldorf-gmbh.de>

   So. The GDB stub works so far. There are some minor problems
   during startup of the host gdb, but as soon vmlinux executes
   a break instruction and enters the gdb exception handler, the
   communication syncs.

Andy, I guess since direct modification of registers is not working
you cannot call arbitrary functions in the kernel as of yet?  I find
it a life saver at times to be able to do

(gdb) print show_free_areas()

and similar ;-)  Also, you can do things like:

(gdb) print panic("gdb panics")

but only if you provide a 'malloc()' function in the kernel for the
stub to call to get a memory pool to store the string into.  I
basically on the sparc allocate a page for gdb to alloc from and wrote
simple memory pool routines and a malloc() which is static in the stub
file itself, once the page is used up malloc() returns null.  I find
this very useful personally (especially for debugging the mm code).

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@caip.rutgers.edu