Remote-GDB for Linux/MIPS

Subject: Remote-GDB for Linux/MIPS
From: Andreas Busse <>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 1995 21:02:49 +0200
Hi all!

So. The GDB stub works so far. There are some minor problems
during startup of the host gdb, but as soon vmlinux executes
a break instruction and enters the gdb exception handler, the
communication syncs.

Things supported:
- full source code debugging (yes, I compiled the kernel with -g)
- breakpoint setting
- register dumps (incl. FPU, if enabled)
- disassembly by reading memory on the target
- memory dumps
- etc.

Things not yet supported:
- Modifying registers, except for breakpoint handling
- other baudrates and devices than 9600 on ttyS0
- kill, reset
- Single Step
- and many other things being possible at least in theory

However, if demand is high I will concentrate on adding
missing features.

Question is: Someone interested in this current version?
If this is the case, I'll upload kernel patches, gdb patches
as well as gdb binaries to

Andreas Busse                      |
Waldorf Electronics GmbH, R&D Dep. | Phone: +49 2636-970105
Neustrasse 9-12, D-53498 Waldorf   | Fax:   +49 2636-970106