Re: Non-verbose boot?

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Non-verbose boot?
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@waldorf-gmbh.de>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 1995 00:45:40 +0200 (MET DST)
Hi,

> : This way, the font - or other stuff we don't yet know about :) - it at
> : a well defined place, and only few octets are wasted (the tag header
> : of the font). Comments ?
>
> My only concern with this would be that the Deskstation rPC44 has a
> hole in memory between 0xa0000 and 0xfffff.  Other than that, it looks
> OK.  Oh, you might run into a problem if you just kfree it, since the
> kernel will complain that you are freeing memory not returned by
> kmalloc.

How about copying the stuff to the end of available memory.  During
startup in setup_arch() the kernel decides what it needs and what not.
All the required stuff will be copied down just after _end.  The
memory range from behind the last junk to the end of memory is then
returned and initialized as normal.

This makes it necessary that the kernel makes it's decissions very
early.  I think we can live with that.