Re: Life is good :-)

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Life is good :-)
From: Andreas Busse <andy@waldorf-gmbh.de>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 1995 13:46:22 +0200

 > OK.  I rebuilt the kernel -DPORT_BASE=0xB0000000 (since the memory map
 > isn't completely working yet), hacked it here and there, and have some
 > good news to report:
 >
 > I have "dim" output!  As you likely know, this means that the kernel
 > is printing things, and MILO isn't :-).
 >
 > For those of you that care, the output says:
 >
 > Console: colour CGA 80x50, 1 virtual console (max 63)
 > Life is good                         [*]
 > bios32 is done                               [*]
 > Calibrarting delay loop.. ok 50.08 bogo mips

Aha. 50 Mhz system clock :-)

 > keyboard unrecognized scan code (70) ignored
 > tty00 at 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16450
 > tty00 at 0x2f8 (irq = 3) is a 16450

With my 1.2.10.4 patches ? I'm excited !?

 > Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M

And again! Thanks for checking it on a non-Magnum :-)

 > Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address 600003f2 Opps:
 > 00000001
 >      <register dump>
 > [...]
 >
 > Also, there is something bogus with they keyboard driver, since all
 > the keys yield bogus keyscans.
 >
 > Looks like progress to me :-).

In fact! And you were fast too! Congrats!

 > Time to checkpoint my changes, and mail them to ralf, along with the
 > milo changes.  Some of these changes are ugly, but they have gotten me
 > this far.
 >
 > Tasks:
 >      0) Make patches for Ralf

I'm not sure about how we handle that. I'm working on patch set #5
(kgdb support and other "minor" changes) so it might also be ok
if you send them to me. Don't know on what Ralf is working right now.

 >      1) Work on the memory map
 >      2) Work on the "hole" in memory
 >      3) Work on the "copy down the exception hanlders" code and
 >         load the code at 0x80100000
 >      4) Play it by ear from here :-)
 >
 > Thanks for everybody's help to get me here.  Looks like I won't need
 > the minimal console support after all.  A few, well placed debugs
 > saved the day.

printk() is our best friend. If it's not available, *((char *) 0x...) = 'x'
is also quite nice. But wait for the GDB stub! This works long before
the kernel even thinks about consoles and such :-)

Cheers,
Andy