Re: Hrumph!

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Hrumph!
From: Andreas Busse <andy@waldorf-gmbh.de>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 1995 08:03:55 +0200

 > Well, I have the main code that looks like:
 > *(char *) 0xA00A0000 = '1';
 >      setup_arch(&command_line, &memory_start, &memory_end);
 > [...]
That's very similar to the debug stuff I used to make the Magnum
and Pica initialization working. Although I even needed some assembler
stuff in head.S.

 > Which is a *BIG* hammer (but much easier than the cylon[*] light).
 > I've found that setup_arch never returns....  Just thought I'd share
 > this technique with the list.  I'd bet most people know about it that
 > are actively working on Linux, but maybe some of the lurkers might
 > not.

But at least you know that you're coming thru the low-level
init stuff. That's way better than nothing!

 > I get to '1', but I never see any other numbers.  Either setup_arch is
 > unmapping the ununmappable, or I'm on to something :-).  Anyway, this
 > gives me a big clue what is going on, so I'll keep working on it.
 > Just wanted to let people

No, I don't think that setup_arch() is doing some magic. Take a
look at it and you'll know that is actually nearly empty. Perhaps
you need some further debug output there.

 > BTW, I also wanted to thank everyone that has been sending me tips.
 > They are most helpful and useful.

No problem at all! It's great to see some success on the RPC44 !

Cheers,
Andy