Life is good :-)

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Life is good :-)
From: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 1995 22:56:52 -0600
OK.  I rebuilt the kernel -DPORT_BASE=0xB0000000 (since the memory map
isn't completely working yet), hacked it here and there, and have some
good news to report:

I have "dim" output!  As you likely know, this means that the kernel
is printing things, and MILO isn't :-).

For those of you that care, the output says:

Console: colour CGA 80x50, 1 virtual console (max 63)
Life is good                            [*]
bios32 is done                          [*]
Calibrarting delay loop.. ok 50.08 bogo mips
keyboard unrecognized scan code (70) ignored
tty00 at 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16450
tty00 at 0x2f8 (irq = 3) is a 16450
Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address 600003f2 Opps:
00000001
        <register dump>
Cause: 0000830c
Int: 0
Process swapper (pid: 0 stackpage=80070dbb)
        <stack dump>
kfree of non-kmalloced memory: 80072d80, next = 00000000, order = 0
task[0] (swapper) killed: unable to recover
Kernel Panic: trying to free up swapper memory space
in swapper task - not syncing.

Also, there is something bogus with they keyboard driver, since all
the keys yield bogus keyscans.

Looks like progress to me :-).

Time to checkpoint my changes, and mail them to ralf, along with the
milo changes.  Some of these changes are ugly, but they have gotten me
this far.

Tasks:
        0) Make patches for Ralf
        1) Work on the memory map
        2) Work on the "hole" in memory
        3) Work on the "copy down the exception hanlders" code and
           load the code at 0x80100000
        4) Play it by ear from here :-)

Thanks for everybody's help to get me here.  Looks like I won't need
the minimal console support after all.  A few, well placed debugs
saved the day.

Warner