Re: Non-verbose boot?

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Non-verbose boot?
From: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 1995 22:34:28 -0600
: Well, I don't believe that Linux should necessarily try to look like NT.

Nor I.  However, Milo is currently a bit chatty for its function.  As
more and more of the kernel is working, the relative importance of
MILO is diminishing, so its output should also.  Don't get me wrong,
MILO is a fine work of software, but I'm not convinced it needs to
blow its horn quite so loudly :-).  Most other boot loaders are very
quiet most of the time (lilo, FreeBSD's, Boot Easy, etc).

: The current Milo is hardwired to verbose mode as debugging aid.
: Since it didn't make trouble for quite some time we should switch it
: to non-verbose mode as you say.

OK.  I'll put the patches together and send them off when I get a
bootable Deskstation rPC 44 (at least one that prints the first kernel
greeting, and can position the cursor :-).  I'm to kernel point '4'
now, and hope to be at '5' within the hour and to '8' by the end of
this long (for us Yanks) weekend.

Warner