Re: Grrr: SIGEMT

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Grrr: SIGEMT
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@waldorf-gmbh.de>
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 1995 02:30:24 +0200 (MET DST)

> : Just done that. In all flavours of RiscOS (BSD43, SVR3 and SVR4)
> : SIGEMT is 7 and SIGBUS is 10. So, Linux's signal mapping is *wrong*,
> : or at least non-standard. We should change that.
>
> Don't even get me started on this....
>
> It is acceptible under POSIX.  Posix just defines the names, but not
> the symbolic mappings.
>
> Not that I think it is right, mind you...

Oh well, the POSIX stuff is perfect as long as you only need to map
signal names to signal numbers.  Unfortunately they forgot the reverse
relation.  As I wrote before one has to write a program that examines
how the system maps signal names to signal numbers.  Not nice but portable.
But UNIX has never been a nice OS - it has been reliable, user friedly ...