Re: Hrumph!

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Hrumph!
From: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 1995 09:56:19 -0600
: Sure. Do it the Magnum/PICA way:
:
: #ifdef CONFIG_DESKSTATION_RPC44
:       if (boot_info.machtype == MACH_DESKSTATION_RPC44) {
:               ...
:               set rpc44 video information here
:               ...
:       } else
: #endif

Yes.  I did that, and the driver still isn't working, so I must have
done something wrong.

: Also, make sure that you have a correct map0_table in kernel/head.S
: for the RPC44. Without a correct initial mapping nothing will work!

That's the problem, I think.  What is supposed to be mapped where?
I've stumbled around a bit trying to find it all, but more keeps
popping up.

Also, when MILO boots, is it in translated (using virutal addresses)
or untranslated mode?  Does the MIPS even have an untranslated mode?

I know that in MILO the addresses 0x8000000 and 0xa0000000 start the
range of memory and the ISA bus is "overmapped" from 0xn00a0000 to
0xn00fffff.  And that I/O ports start at 0xB0000000.

Hmmm, just got mail from Ralf suggesting I use tlbdump to see where
these guys are mapped and then put that into the map statement.  Hmmm,
I'll see if that works, but I thought I had this down :-(.

More hacking to go.

Warner