binutils question

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: binutils question
From: Szemethy Tivadar <tiv@vma.bme.hu>
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 1995 13:22:55 +0200 (MET DST)
Hi all,

Last night I tried to install binutils (with the patches)on a linux box
(as cross-tools), and realized that the configuration doesn't support anything
like mipsel-linux or similar (mipsllinux), only mips-elf.
Is that true ? Is it entirely ELF now ?
Anyway, I'm trying with mips-ecoff now. I just need COFF files to play
with the pmax bootloader.
I thought that mips-ecoff and mips-linuxaout would be the same, or at least
very similar, but it looks like they aren't.
Or am I completely wrong ? If I am, I speak executable files of type '407'
where the .data and .text can be loaded at once (according to my netbsd sources)
Someone plase enlighten me...

thanks,
tiv