Re: Hrumph!

Subject: Re: Hrumph!
From: Andreas Busse <>
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 1995 10:51:21 +0200
 > As you may have guess from my subject, I've found why my machine
 > doesn't print anything when linux boots.  At least I think I have.
 > Looking at drivers/char/console.c:con_init() tells me why.  It will
 > only use the boot_info record when ACER_PICA_61 or MIPS_MAGNUM_4000
 > are enabled and when booted on those machines.  Otherwise it will do
 > the default PC things.  However, my video card isn't at SLOTSPACE +
 > 0xb8000; like the kernel just blindly assumes :-(.  It doesn't use the
 > address in the boot_info variable, like maybe it should.
 > So I thought I'd bounce it off the list, while I go off and try to fix
 > this.  Comments?

Sure. Do it the Magnum/PICA way:

        if (boot_info.machtype == MACH_DESKSTATION_RPC44) {
                set rpc44 video information here
        } else

You probably don't need more than this to make the console
driver working. At least, nothing more was needed for the

Also, make sure that you have a correct map0_table in kernel/head.S
for the RPC44. Without a correct initial mapping nothing will work!