Re: SIGEMT

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: SIGEMT
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@waldorf-gmbh.de>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 1995 20:34:36 +0200 (MET DST)
Hi all,

> > I wonder why gdb thinks that signal 7 is SIGEMT. In Linux
> > this is SIGBUS. Any ideas, anyone ?
> >
> Because 7 is SIGEMT and have been for eons. (Read PDP11 times)
> SIGBUS is 10. At least on SYSV. And on BSD also.

Relying on a fixed relation number <-> SYMBOLIC named isn't very portable.
For Linux and SIGBUS I have to note that SIGBUS didn't exist for long
times under Linux.  Since the i386 doesn't generate a bus error exception
you should expect the unexpected :-(  See also signal(7) which only documents
the i386 behaviour.