WWW-Server future

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: WWW-Server future
From: Jens Hoffmann <jens@jens1.whu-koblenz.de>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 1995 18:57:45 +0200 (MET DST)
Hi Folx,

Andreas Busse wrote:

>  > I blieve there is some software.  But we can easily work around that by
>  > placing the HTTP pages in a FTP accessible directory.  Since there are
>  > already some CDROMs available on the market that contain Linux/MIPS
>  > stuff I believe this would be a big advantage.  Who puts /pub/linux/mips/
>  > on his CDROM distribution would automatically also get
> /pub/linux/mips/www/.
>  > Next point is that we could try to document all the uploaded stuff with
>  > Web pages.  The point is that integration of Web pages and ftp would form
>  > a new thing.  An idea that I like.
>  >

> Yes, I'd like that too. However, it's a little bit complicated since
> a local Web server usually has all pages in a non-public directory.
> Even worse, some servers are compiled with security features that
> would not allow to access pages located in directories other than
> the dedicated one. We need to check that.

If it's not urgent, then please wait until after september 6th.
I'll do it then. No great deal, really. The important points were
checked (relative-paths....)
The mix between FTP and WWW-directories is present on many FTP-Servers.
For one example check: ftp://ftp.waldorf-gmbh.de/pub/sources/X11/tcl.
It is, however, necessary to allow the HTTPD to read the files in the
ftp-dir.
That can be implemented in two ways:
1) It's the generic document directory of the server, or
2) You allow people to have an own www-directorie.

In case of 2) It's merely neccesary to add a directory http or www
under the ftp-root.

As I said, no great deal.

cua,
   Jens